Planetary nebula Messier 27, often called the Dumbbell Nebula. Located in the constellation of Vulpecula. The term planetary is a misnomer as it has nothing to do with planets. The outer layer of the star is expelled into space when a star goes through a red giant phase. The outer layers are then ionized by the remaining core as it becomes a white dwarf star. Something our Sun may become near the end of its life cycle.
Wednesday, 26 August 2020 15:34
- Constellation: Vulpecula
- Right Ascension: 19h 59m 36.340s
- Declination: +22° 43′ 16.09″
- Distance (Lightyears): 415
- Telescope: Explore Scientific 127 Refractor
- Camera: ZWO 1600MM Mono cmos