Messier 53 a globular cluster located in the constellation of Coma Berenices at a distance of 58,000 light years away. A very metal poor cluster indicating that most of the stars are of a first generation as stars that are formed from the deaths of other stars have higher levels of metal in them. The cluster contains more than 500,000 stars and 67+ of the RR Lyrae type of variable stars that are used to estimate the distance much like Cepheid variables are.
Monday, 27 April 2020 15:14
- Constellation: Coma Berenices
- Right Ascension: 13h 12m 55.25s
- Declination: +18° 10′ 05.4″
- Distance (Lightyears): 58,000
- Telescope: Explore Scientific 127 Refractor
- Camera: ZWO 1600MM Mono cmos